Thursday, March 8, 2012

Packing for Paris: 10 Beauty Essentials

Talk about luxury. How about traveling in style with a Smythson vanity case? 

My friends have covered the "what will I wear; what will I pack (?)" conundrum in great style. I thought instead of adding more clothes and accessories to your suitcases, I would instead tell you what I  put into my vanity case when I travel.

Don't you just love the concept? Vanity case.

It seems like a 1950s glamorous or 2012 private plane, no waiting in line, direct delivery onto the tarmac by your driver sort of accessory. Never mind, most of us live in the real world where practical and efficient are our luxuries. With that in mind, I've chosen my top 10 can't leave home without them beauty products.

Every one except my day and night creams -- which I could transfer into smaller containers -- can be found in travel sizes and all would be arranged in a large-ish transparent plastic toilette case with smaller ones stowed inside. I have enough problems trying to find things in my tote; I do not wish to rummage around in my "vanity case."

These are the products (Yes, I know, you're familiar with them, but they work and I have no intention of changing my allegiances. And remember every one of them is dermatologist recommended, even the cotton squares.):


1.) BioDerma ABC Derm H20 micellaire cleanser for babies to be used on my Lotus cotton squares. Use both sides. (Micellaire means it does not require rinsing, but I always do a psychological spritz with the product below.)


2.) Avène eau thermale in a cute little spray can.


3.) Avène exfoliating scrub.


4.) Avène hydrating masque.


5.) Eucerin Day Cream.


6.) Eucerin Night Cream.


7.) Avène lip balm -- it's the only lip balm I have found that does what it's supposed to do.



8.) Retin-A. (My petite miracle.)


9.) Avène cold cream body lotion. (I think this will have to be transferred into a smaller bottle.)


10.) La Roche-Posay Anthelios sun screen SPF 50.

Clarisonic, the Mia for travel, the large one stays home.

Now, since these two items do not come under the official heading of "beauty product" I didn't count them, but I consider them necessary: my Clarisonic and the extra large Lotis cotton squares, again for bébé. I send these squares to friends in the States who love them. They also double as excellent packing material for anything fragile you might be toting.

One large sac like this and smaller ones inside, perhaps for makeup products or anything that might leak.
Above is an example of the type of clear plastic toilette case I use when traveling. However, before you start to judge me, I think of them as "shells" which hold my products. They are to be slipped into something more refined. I'll leave that definition to you. If status is your thing, you will most certainly be attracted to the Chanel. The PS1 by Proenza Schouler is rather sweet and it holds no secrets as you can see.


Proenza Schouler and Chanel vanity cases.
Let me tell you how clever (ahem) I am: the lip balm is great for grooming eyebrows, the exfoliating scrub can be used not only on the face for which it was created, but also on hands, legs and feet. The masque works wonders for tired, scaly feet: first exfoliate, next generously apply the masque, add socks, go to bed. You can carry the water in your bag or tote for a quick, refreshing spritz throughout the day and on the plane of course.

When you pass security remember to buy a bottle of water. A steward once explained to me -- without going into details -- that the good stuff runs out quickly on the plane and it's best to be packing your own bottled water. I've never forgotten his advice nor my water.

Remember: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment