Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ten Pan Alley


As always, Marsi, featured below, has inspired me. The last time she wrote about tossing our lipsticks I parted with a multi-brand handful of pinky browns, brown-y pinks, beige-y pinks, slightly pinky beige-y browns -- you get the idea, all more or less the same hue bought by a woman terrified of too much lip color. (Fortunately I saved one. I rationalized the purge by telling myself that most were waaay past their shelf life.)
Today, thank you again Marsi, I went to my bathroom and am pleased to report the following items will no longer take up space: John Frieda Collection Frizz-Ease (why I have this product I have no idea, I do not have super curly hair); Jergens Natural Glow self-tanner; a couple of sample-size body lotions from hotels (I get so excited about these products in the moment for some reason) and finally Kiehl's Just-Out-of The-Shower Hair Gel (great product, but I can't even remember what year I bought it).


Et voila, that's my story, here follows Marsi's:

In the beauty blogosphere, there's a phenomenon called Project Ten Pan, in which a beauty junkie refuses to buy any more cosmetics until she "hits pan" on ten items languishing in her collection.

A beauty blogger shows what it's like to "hit pan."

I love streamlining my life, so naturally, the concept of Project Ten Pan intrigues me. But between excavating my lipstick graveyard earlier this year (this post) and finally having acquired the discipline to buy only items that work well for me, Project Ten Pan for my makeup bag seems pointless. But then I asked myself, "Well, what about your medicine cabinet then? Why not play Project Ten Pan with your unloved skincare loot?"

So, here's what's up for elimination.

This and that: NARS, Weleda, Philosophy,
La Roche-Posay, Avene, MAC, Mario Badescu,
Biologique Recherche, TilVee, and Lancome. 
Like so many of you, I've gotten particular about what I put on my face, so I plan to use most of these creams on my décolletage, and the rest I'll slather on my feet right before bed. (Pourquoi pas, non?)

It's oddly gratifying, isn't it, to use up a product and free some space in our zone, so if you'd like to join me in a little spring cleaning, please leave a comment below. It can be makeup, skincare, or body care -- and even a combination thereof. A month from now, we'll check in with each other to see how we're doing.

Allons-y!

P.S. Have you met Henri, the existentialist cat?


No comments:

Post a Comment