Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Bronzer Shade of Pale

A lush Kabuki brush.

My darling Marsi is back today examining and lauding what is one of the beauty world's most iconic products. . .

I'm of Swedish and Irish extraction, so suffice it to say, I'm pale. I've always protected my fair skin against the sun, but sometimes -- especially lately -- it feels like "pale" nudges up against "anemic" a bit too much, leaving me wishing that I'd actually look as vital and healthy as I feel.

About a month ago, I was reading Into the Gloss, my favorite beauty blog, and was terribly excited to find an interview (here) with Daphné Hezard, editor in chief at L'Officiel, about her beauty routine. When Daphné, a fellow fair face, mentioned her love of Guerlain Terracotta Bronzing Powder, something just clicked for me and I knew I had to try it. Tout de suite!

Just a kiss of color from the sun.

You know the saying: I came, I saw, I shopped.

A lovely compact from the classic
"Terracotta Bronzing Powder" range.

There are many Terracotta bronzing powder ranges from which to choose: some are matte, some have shimmer, some are deeply bronze, some are barely so. Some are even seasonal limited editions. Given my fair complexion and fear of shimmer, I loved the sheer, matte color from the Terracotta Bronzing Powder range, in shade 01.
Another option, from the "Terracotta Light" range:
a constellation of pearlescent colors. 

Guerlain tells us exactly how to use the Terracotta:

Using [a] Kabuki brush or a powder brush, apply your Terracotta powder by tracing a "3" on each side of the face: from the forehead to the cheeks and then to the chin, following the facial contours and moving down along the neck. Final touch: take a small amount of Terracotta powder with your brush and sweep it over the curved areas of the face, where the sun touches it most: the bridge of the nose, cheekbones and chin. 

I've used my bronzer powder daily for about six weeks now and will never again be without it. It truly is sheer, without shimmer, completely natural looking, and not the least bit orange-y or smudgy-dirty on the skin. It's a miracle product, and my only regret is that I waited so long to try it.

Don't miss the interview video (full post here), in which Daphné discloses about her beauty regime and gives a little tour of her sunny Paris apartment. Isn't it fun? Isn't she lovely?




P.S. For years, I've been nuts about the Terracotta Loose Powder Kohl for eyes that Daphné mentions. If you like to line your eyes right at the waterline, it can't be beat.

P.M.S. If you have a moment, why not scroll through the archives of Into the Gloss for fabulous interviews with Inès de la Fressange (oui!), Elodie Bouchez, Aurélie Bidermann, Linda Rodin, Léa Seydoux, Amanda Harlach, Julia Restoin Roitfeld, Iris Apfel, and many, many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment