Saturday, May 26, 2012

A French Country Weekend




Just back from the market where I bought cherries (!) my favorite fruit. I've already made my wish as I add them to my list of fruits eaten for the first time this year.

So far I've had: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and now cherries. I did have a melon, but one of you pointed out that it was imported and you were absolutely correct. I wonder whether this gives me the opportunity to re-eat a melon grown in France and thus make an extra wish.

I've made the same wish on each fruit. Surely it will come true in that case don't you think?

Yesterday a friend of mine gave me three beautiful -- cut -- bearded irises in deep purple and yellow. When she saw how delighted I was she promised to give me some rhizomes in the fall.

On the outside chance, you, like moi meme, have no idea what a rhizome is, below is the definition from the Encyclopedia Britannica.


rhizome,  Iris: rhizome [Credit: John H. Gerard]in botany, horizontal, underground plant stem capable of producing the shoot and root systems of a new plant. This capability allows the parent plant to propagate vegetatively (asexually) and also enables a plant to perennate (survive an annual unfavourable season) underground. In some plants (e.g., water lilies, many ferns and forest herbs), the rhizome is the only stem of the plant. In such cases, only the leaves and flowers are readily visible.




Weather report: unspeakably gorgeous or, as the forecasters have been saying, "July in May." We truly deserve these temperatures and sunny skies after the dreadful weeks of rain, hail, chilly temperatures and gray, gray skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment