Saturday, May 5, 2012

A French Country Weekend


Today, before it rains, the earth will be turned over in our potager and we will begin planting. For me, this is one of the most exciting moments in the year. The herbs that survived the winter will be rearranged, new ones added and for the first time I'll see if it's easy to grow radishes.

I'm told by my ambitious friends who have enormous potagers that from seeds to plants it takes 18 days to have a radish plant. I'll let you know.

Tomatoes will be "installed" (that's a bit of Franglais) after the 15th of May which is supposedly the official date after which it is impossible to have freezing temperatures. Since, as I've often admitted, I'm not a proficient gardener I simply listen, learn and follow the leaders.

Now, we're off to the market to buy seeds, see what looks good and I hope find bouquets of peones. I still have lots of lilacs in the garden.

Since you said you didn't think it was boring to hear what I have for breakfast; I'll tell you what I had today: A small bowl of perfect raspberries.


Remember, according to French lore, every year when you bite into a fruit you haven't eaten since the year before you make a wish. Think melons, peaches, raspberries, strawberries, cherries -- you get the idea. I made a wish with my framboises this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment